5 SPICE SALMON
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 lb salmon filet cut into 4 pieces
- 6 dried medium shiitake mushrooms soaked in 3/4 cup hot water for about 15 minutes (save water)
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS fresh ginger, chopped, or 1/3 tsp dried
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder (can be found in Asian section in supermarket)
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 TBS molasses
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 4 cups shredded Chinese, or Napa cabbage
- 6 scallion, chopped
- salt and white pepper to taste
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in 3/4 cup hot water. Slice when soft cutting out stem. Preheat broiler on high.
- Healthy Sauté onion in medium saucepan over medium low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add vegetable stock, 5 spice powder, orange juice, and molasses. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and discard all but liquid. Place liquid back into pan, and thicken with arrowroot dissolved in a little water while simmering.
- While sauce is cooking, simmer in another medium sized sauté pan cabbage, mushrooms, scallion, salt and pepper in mushroom water for 5 minutes.
- Season salmon with a little salt and pepper and broil in a baking pan for about 4 minutes. Do not use glass or pyrex for this. Place on bed of sautéed cabbage and drizzle with generous amount of sauce.Serves 4